Thursday, January 30, 2020

Week Three Prompt Response


1. I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!
The next book in the series is The Lunatic Café its book 4 in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series.

2. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.
The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin is described as having a compelling and lyrical writing style. The lyrical would appeal to your appreciation of her writing style and the compelling indicates it moves a bit faster.

3. I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!
You might like The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz it is a detailed novel told in the first person about the first commoner to marry into the Japanese royal family and how her life changed.  Coming full circle to arranging her own son's marriage.  It is full of rich detail.

4. I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?
I would recommend Still Life by Louise Penny. It is another procedural series this is also set outside of the US told at a leisurely pace. You could also check out the next book in the Thomas Lynley series by Elizabeth George called A suitable vengeance.

5. My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?
I would recommend Zombies!Zombies!Zombies! its an anthology of zombie stories that include both modern and classic works. It will be episodic like The Walking Dead comic but have the full story of World War Z.

6. I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.
I would recommend The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, it is not a movie yet but it will be soon! It is about a young boy who steals a famous painting after a terrorist attack he survived as a child. This is the story of his life.

7. I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean and fast-paced. You may like to Watch the Girls by Jennifer Wolfe. It’s about as child actress who is trying to re-establish her career on a fake investigation reality show when she gets fired and stumbles upon a real case.



I have always struggled to find a follow up to what I was reading unless it was a series. I mostly thrived on recommendations from friends and family. I have asked for RA assistance a couple times from a librarian. I will generally search around where I found my last good book to see if I stumble upon anything else. I am a window shopper, I pick up a lot of books before I decide what to take home.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Christa. I enjouyed the book, The Goldfinch, as I'm a Donna Tartt fan. I haven't seen the movie, though (it is out on DVD). As far as what to read next, how do you like to manage your to-read list? Is it just a mental list? My memory is not good enough for that, so I use Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep screen shots of covers on my phone mainly but its kind of mental list. Rarely do I know what I am going read next. It has always been a struggle for me.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your RA responses. I think you did a better job than I of pointing out the elements the reader would appreciate. I was excited to see what recommendations we came to similar positions on and Zombies was the winner. :)
    I, too, do a lot of window shopping, but usually grab based on recommendations and what patrons rave about when they return. I LOVE to gather first hand recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic responses and recommendations. Full points!

    ReplyDelete