Saturday, April 18, 2020

The Hollow Kingdom


The Hollow Kingdom By Clare B. Dunkle
Hollow Kingdom Trilogy book 1

Katie and Emily are sent to live at Hallow Hill when their father passes away leaving them orphans. They are to be raised by their distant uncle and aunts. The hill has a secret. Goblins live in the cavern under the hill, the goblins have been abducting young girls for their brides. Katie seems to have caught the eye of the goblin prince. After becoming the new wife of the goblin king, she begins to learn the ways of her new people. Will she love them enough to save them when the chips are down?

·         Protagonist is a 15-16-year-old young woman
·         Story starts with an uprooting of her life.
·         Protagonist has a strong bond with her sister
·         Alludes to sex but nothing graphic
·         Story resolves with an enjoyment and acceptance of her new life.



Read a Likes
·         Close Kin- Clare B. Dunkle
·         Wildwood Dancing-Juliet Marillier
·         Keturah and Lord Death- Marine Leavitt
·         Wed by Proxy-Alice Coldbreath

2 comments:

  1. Christa, I had to know more about this book after reading your annotation. This part of a Goodreads review made me smile: "Now, I know that I have been outspoken in the past about my dislike of fantasies featuring caveman, bad-boy type hero characters. However, I think that I know and respect dozens of women who melt in the presence of these guys. Do I look down on my friends for their fantasy preferences? Absolutely not, because guess what? We all have a fantasy weakness. We all have that certain fairy tale that bypasses every logical part of our brains and just makes us feel giddy and excited." So true! Will you read the other books in the trilogy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good summary - but I'm hoping for a little more in your appeals. This was a very short annotation. Minor 1 point deduction for brevity.

    ReplyDelete