Thursday, April 9, 2020

Wonder Woman Unbound: The Curious History of the World’s Most Famous Heroine


Wonder Woman Unbound: The Curious History of the World’s Most Famous Heroine

Synopsis
This is a mid-narrative book about the history behind the creation of Wonder Woman. Well
researched and written observationally about William Moulton Marston and his life. It goes on to discuss the life of Wonder Woman after Marston and her representation in different era’s. Expressing ideas well ahead of his time Marston created a character that is still beloved and the image of feminism today.
The text goes into great detail about the symbolism behind every aspect of the character and her life. Covering not just the comic but spin offs this as well is a very authoritative text about the iconic characters.


Characteristics of Non-Fiction
·         Leisurely read about the history of the character
·         Features historical figures both fictional and non-fictional
·         In depth illuminating descriptions of all details
·         Setting meanders through history of the character and her influences

Recommendations
·         The Supergirls: Fashion, Feminism, Fantasy and the History of Comic Book Heroines by Mike Madrid
·         The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore
·         Wonder Woman by Gail Simone (Omnibus)
·         Justice League Vol 1: Origin by Geoff Johns, Jim Lee

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Christa. What did you think about this book? Are you a superhero fan? Would this book appeal to someone (me) who is not into superheroes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a super hero fan I don't think it would appeal to someone who's not personally. It focuses pretty heavily on that aspect.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Julie. I'd like to know more about your reaction to the book. I know a little about superheroes, but not their real-world origins, so this is intriguing. Does it have anything to do with the recent film Professor Marston and the Wonder Women?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No the book was published before the movie I believe (without looking it up).

      Delete
  3. What a great book for superhero fans! My husband blames me for getting our kids into Star Wars, Star Trek, and Marvel. I'm not that read up on DC superheroes though. But I honestly don't think boys would read this (I may be generalizing); but this would be great for girls looking for real life role models. I think there was a movie or docuseries a few years back that came out just after DC's Wonder Woman did so well.
    I also would like to know what you thought about the book and if you choose it because you are a fan. Great annotation. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did choose it because I was a fan. I love the women of DC Marvel just doesn't have the meat that DC does when it comes to female characters in my opinion. Wonder Woman Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn have become such well rounded and established characters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure if readalikes can apply to non-books but they made a movie about William Moulton Marston a couple years ago (I think it was called Professor Marston and the Wonder Women?). I'm not sure how much it goes into the creation of Wonder Woman, but it talks a lot about his personal life (I guess he was polyamorous, at least that's what people who've seen the movie tell me when I ask them what they thought of it). This sounds like a really fascinating book, and they might be a good pair! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a fascinating book! Good job! Full points on the prompt and annotation!

    ReplyDelete